Back-to-School Insurance Tips for College Students

AAA Mid States

The transition from high school graduate to new college student is an exciting milestone. Purchasing new electronics and moving away from home are typically part of the preparations for back to school. AAA also recommends an important step for college-bound students and their families to take before heading to campus: review your insurance policies.

If you live in a dorm, most personal possessions will be covered under your parents’ homeowners or renters insurance policies. However, expensive items such as computers and other electronics might be subject to coverage limits under a standard homeowners policy. If the limits are too low, parents might want to consider purchasing a special personal property endorsement.

If you live off-campus, purchase renters insurance. Renters insurance is necessary to protect you and your belongings and can protect you from liability if someone accidentally gets injured on the property.

Leave valuables at home. While some valuable items, such as laptops, may be needed on campus, items such as expensive jewelry might be best left at home.

Create a “dorm inventory.” Create a detailed inventory of all items you’ll be taking with you, including photos and receipts. If you need to file a claim, an up-to-date inventory will help make the process easier.

Leave home or stay in the area. If you bring a car to campus and remain on your parents’ policy, coverage likely still applies. If you attend an out-of-state school, make sure your insurance coverage follows you.

To find out more about auto, homeowners, condo or renters insurance, call 1-800-222-1469 to talk to a local AAA Insurance agent, click or visit your local AAA office today.